Payroll Department Overview
The payroll department is responsible for accurate payroll processing, inputting employee payroll and benefit deductions, payroll direct deposit and check distribution, and annual IRS Form W-2 reporting.
Timecard Schedule Memorandum
Please read this annual memorandum which outlines time card due dates and related pay dates for timecard users.
FY 2018-2019 Timecard Due Date Schedule – Updated June 21, 2018
Timecard Procedures Memorandum
All staff, supervisors, and managers should read this important time card procedures memorandum to understand time card procedures and responsibilities.
Pay Check & Direct Deposit Advice Distribution
The District distributes all live (paper) payroll checks via regular United States mail only. Employees enrolled in the direct deposit program will securely receive their electronic payroll direct deposit advice notice via their College of Marin employee e-mail each pay period. Please note the following points related to payroll checks and electronic pay stub distribution:
- To ensure accurate and timely delivery of your paper payroll check via regular United States mail, please make sure the District has your correct mailing address. Submit a change of address notice directly to the Human Resources Department to update your address on file with the District.
- Payroll checks are valid on the actual pay date. You may cash your payroll check on or after the actual pay date. Should you happen to receive your payroll check via United States mail before the actual pay date, then the payroll check will not yet be valid. You cannot cash your payroll check before the pay date. Your financial institution may assess you returned check fees or other bank fees should you attempt to deposit or cash your payroll check before the actual pay date.
- The District encourages enrollment in payroll direct deposit, which is available to all employees. Direct deposit is safe, timely, and avoids lost paper checks. In addition, direct deposit saves time by avoiding errands to the bank. Complete a Payroll Direct Deposit Enrollment Authorization form; enrollment instructions are included on this form.
- All employees enrolled in the payroll direct deposit program will receive a College of Marin e-mail message with their direct deposit advice securely attached to the e-mail in the form of a PDF file. The e-mail sender will be firstname.lastname@example.org, and instructions regarding how to access the secured PDF file will be communicated via the e-mail message.
Federal Withholding Elections
Adjust your federal income tax withholding via IRS form W-4. Forward the completed form to the Payroll Department.
- IRS Form W-4, Withholding Allowance Certificate
- Internal Revenue Service - Withholdings Calculator
- Earned Income Credit
- Earned Income Credit FAQ
California Withholding Elections
Adjust your state income tax withholding via EDD Form DE 4. Forward the completed form to the Payroll Department.
- EDD Form DE 4, Withholding Allowance Certificate
- State of California Franchise Tax Board Tax Calculator, Tables, and Rates
Payroll Direct Deposit Enrollment Authorization
Direct deposit enrollment is available and encouraged for all employees. Forward the completed Payroll Direct Deposit Enrollment Form to the Payroll Department. Instructions for completing the form are included in the form document.
Authorization for Overtime
Per Administrative Procedure 7234, upon determination of the necessity for paid overtime as approved by the supervisor, proper approvals will be obtained on the Authorization for Overtime form. The Payroll Department must receive a properly completed Authorization for Overtime form to match (or accompany) the overtime timecard in advance of processing overtime earnings for payment.
Payroll Deduction – Voluntary Elections to Support the College of Marin
The District Advancement Office is now accepting payroll deduction contributions for the support of departments, programs, student scholarships, and special projects. To start payroll deduction, please complete and submit a Payroll Deduction Form. If you would like to use payroll deduction to establish a student scholarship, please also complete a Scholarship Donation Form. For more information call the Advancement Office, ext 7653.